allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

eject physical CD remotely via PowerCLI?

Is it possible to eject a physical CD from an ESXi 4.0 server remotely via PowerCLI? With ESX classic we had the old "eject" binary in the service console, but since this is no more and VMware decided to not eject it after a fresh install, I'm stuck trying to find another option.

I know about workarounds such as changing my BIOS boot order, etc., but I'd like something better than this (and don't want to have to go back into the BIOS next time I want to boot from CD-ROM as I'll inevitably forget I set it differently). HP's virtual media is just way too slow with loading ESXi, so I prefer to use physical media when I can, but I'm not planning on heading to our datacenter for a good week or so and this will continue to come up over and over as we work on our ESXi 4 rollout.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm still curious to know if this is possible via the PowerCLI, but a workaround is to just mount the CD to a VM (directly to the host's CD-ROM drive) and then perform an eject command from the guest OS. Tried this with Windows Server 2003 and it worked fine.

0 Kudos