VMware Cloud Community
tanda005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Host Update Utility

Hello Together

As we already know, since version 4.1 there is no more host update utility included

in the VMware VSphere client. I have searched through all the discussions and checked

the VMware pages. Nobody talkes about or seems to have information if there will be

a host update utility 4.1 or if clients without VCenter Update Manager can only use

VSphere CLI.

Thanks for an answer.

Best Regards

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you dont have vCenter the only way to update your host is via RCLI or vMA or directly on the host via command line.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can now enable the 'Local Tech Support' mode under ESXi 4.1 (no longer unsupported) as well as the Remote Tech Support (SSH) connection mode/security item... You can also opt to use the vMA (updated for 4.1) if you wish. Depending on what you're looking to do, you could use either/both those items on your hosts. Update Manager has nothing to do with these items. Unless you're looking to run the updates via CLI, which you should be able to do using the vMA appliance...

Also, once you have the Tech Support mode items enabled via the host (connecting directly, to enable it the first time) you can turn them on and off using the Security Profile Configuration item, under vCenter or the vSphere Client connected directly to a stand-alone host.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

tanda005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I will check out vMA. But still my question is unanswered.

I don't have VCenter.

Best Regards

David

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you dont have vCenter the only way to update your host is via RCLI or vMA or directly on the host via command line.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wasn't told why, but it has been dropped so I wouldn't expect to see it unless there is sufficient customer feedback about it. In addition to the vCLI you can also use the PowerCLI to patch your hosts.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.