dzinzius
Contributor
Contributor

Use of vihostupdate fails with XML error message

Jump to solution

Hi All,

if I try to execute vihostupdate on my linux machine, after the connection to the server the following error message (regardless which command I use) is displayed:

XML::LibXML::Document::documentElement() -- self is not a blessed SV reference at /usr/share/perl5/VMware/VICommon.pm line 548, <STDIN> line 2.
Did anybody have solved this problem or any ideas?
On Windows everything works fine, so I think it is a problem with the installation on my linux client.
I have the following version:
vSphere SDK for Perl version: 4.1
Script 'vihostupdate' version: 4.1
With Version 4.0 everything works fine.
Greetings,
David
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure you have followed the SDK Perl toolkit installation guide making note of the versions of OS and Perl. There have been issues when the toolkit has been installed with newer versions of Perl and or newer versions of the OS. The simplest solution is to use the vMA management appliance.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure you have followed the SDK Perl toolkit installation guide making note of the versions of OS and Perl. There have been issues when the toolkit has been installed with newer versions of Perl and or newer versions of the OS. The simplest solution is to use the vMA management appliance.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
dzinzius
Contributor
Contributor

ok that seems to be the problem... I have some newer versions of the modules... I will try the vMA

Thanks a lot,

David

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Most welcome. The vMA offers some things not available with the toolkit as well. Check out http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9852 for some excellent management scripts.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
KevinGB
Contributor
Contributor

I just got a similar problem trying to run vihostupdate.pl on Windows XP. I found that the CLI installer had added invalid directories to the PATH environment variable. Once I corrected these it ran correctly. In PATH I used:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\Perl\bin;C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin;

0 Kudos
edsouza
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error and found another source mentions to install the following perl module:


perl-XML-LibXML

Hope this helps if someone else gets this message.

0 Kudos