VMware Cloud Community
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scripting Alias question :!!

Hi all, I'm having a strange problem when trying to add a SAN utility to ESX4. The utility installed fine, but then asks for a username password to be entered in the following format controller:username:password. Our password happens to start with !! and authentication fails when entered in the format requested. When I hit up arrow I notice that the !! has been replaced with some of the last characters that I typed. It appears to me that !! or :!! is some type of scripting alias within ESX and instead of interpreting the characters "as is", it's replacing them with other characters causing authenticatio to the SAN controller to fail. We can get around this by creating a different password, but I'm curious if anyone knows why these characters represent something other than themselves? Here's the actual command I'm trying to run. >

/opt/ontap/santools/config_hba --configure --secure --access sanctl01:root:!!therestofourpassword

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

i'm no expert, but may try it with quotes, something like

/opt/ontap/santools/config_hba --configure --secure --access sanctl01:root:'!!therestofourpassword'

either single quote or maybe double?

dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Troy. We setup a different username/password and it worked fine without quotes so it definitely seems to be something with the :!! entry. Just curious what that means in ESX or how I can find out.

0 Kudos