VMware Cloud Community
Pompon
Contributor
Contributor

Ovftool : template ?

Hello

I'm trying to sync some templates between vcenters with ovftool.

It works but in the destination vcenter the template is transformed as a VirtualMachine.

I didn't find how to convert the virtualmachine to a template automatically with the ovftool ? Is it possible ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Pompon
Contributor
Contributor

No one ?

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, In case of importing into vCenter, OVF format itself is the template. So you need to import that as a VM and then from that you can create a template. Also please note, vCenter provides option to import VM from template not template from template.

On the other hand when it comes to vCloud Director you can create a template from the OVF template, i.e. you can import the OVF template as a vAPP template instead of a running instance.

Hope the above makes it clear.

0 Kudos
Pompon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

When the template is imported to the vcenter it becomes automatically a virtual machine, not a template like source.

I just need to make it automatic when using the command ovftool, but don't find the good parameter.

I don't have vcloud on my vcenter.

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

As mentioned above, in vCenter you get the option to deploy a VM from an OVF template only. You can not deploy a template from an OVF template. So you need to deploy the VM from OVF template.

In your case what you can do to automate the entire process is use PowerCLI to deploy the VM using the OVF template and then convert the VM to a template in vCenter. Since you would be using PowerCLI, you will be able to automate the entire task (actually it is a two step task). You run the script and get the end result.

You can check the below youtube video from Alan on how to deploy a VM from OVA/OVF template using powerCLI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8AP_SW9HA

0 Kudos