VMware Cloud Community
Alim786
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Missing cmdlets in online 4.1 Reference Site

Can someone tell me why the online reference site - http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI41U1/html/index.html - does not show all the cmdlets that I get when I use the help command in my PowerCLI shell ?

For example, if I type "help remove" in my Powercli window, I get back a list including "Remove-Item" but the site above does not have it in its list. I would like to have a full reference to understand all the commands and their uses.

I would appreciate some feedback.

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mattboren
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello, Alim786-

Well, there are things in PowerShell called PSSnapins.  These snapins each provide their own set of cmdlets.  The online reference site that you mentioned is for PowerShell cmdlets that are supplied by VMware via the PowerCLI PSSnapin (namely, "VMware.VimAutomation.Core").

The Remove-Item cmdlet is one of the cmdlets provided by the default PSSnapins that load with PowerShell.

To see only the cmdlets provided by the VMware.VimAutomation.Core PSSnapin, you can use the -Module parameter with Get-Command, like:

Get-Command -Module VMware.VimAutomation.Core

This should get you exactly the cmdlets that are listed at the online reference site you alluded to.  Does that help?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mattboren
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello, Alim786-

Well, there are things in PowerShell called PSSnapins.  These snapins each provide their own set of cmdlets.  The online reference site that you mentioned is for PowerShell cmdlets that are supplied by VMware via the PowerCLI PSSnapin (namely, "VMware.VimAutomation.Core").

The Remove-Item cmdlet is one of the cmdlets provided by the default PSSnapins that load with PowerShell.

To see only the cmdlets provided by the VMware.VimAutomation.Core PSSnapin, you can use the -Module parameter with Get-Command, like:

Get-Command -Module VMware.VimAutomation.Core

This should get you exactly the cmdlets that are listed at the online reference site you alluded to.  Does that help?

0 Kudos