VMware Cloud Community
alpatio
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure for Guest OS RH 8.6 template for OsCUSTOMIZATION scripts

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy some RHEL 8.6 using OsCustomization Script. My Platform is a VsPhere 7.0 and my Guest OS already has latest Open-vm-tools, Perl and also cloud-init.

Scripting is done in PowerCli, and was working without troubles when I run on previous versions of VsPhere 6.5

My purpose is customize  the deploy of new VM with some basic settings, like 'hostname', and set it with a fixed IP Address.

First I've tried with:

Many blogs suggests the usage of the following settings

I've tried with the option "disable_vmware_customization: false"  into cloud.cfg configuration, but in my case nothing happened, hostname were not set, and IP address was not configured. 

Also tested configuring vm tools with "vmware-toolbox-cmd config set deployPkg enable-custom-scripts true" without success.

Mi second approach to the problem was using a different cloud-init settings

This time I've set "disable_vmware_customization: true" and I've also  had to configure network: config:disabled to avoid that the ipAddress were removed after first reboot. 

Whit these basic settings seems that is working as I want, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do or configure our new RHel machines. Or if some other configuration settings are required.

How should I configure Linux Guest OS to allow the usage of OsCustomization scripts? What is the right way to configure Guest OS to use CustomizationScripts?

Thanks in adance

0 Kudos
0 Replies