VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ESX directories / sizes

Not sure if this is possible, but is there a way to go into a directory / directories and list the contents and size of the contents? Basically what I've run into is two hosts have filled up the "/" directory to 100% where as my other hosts are running just fine, same partition setup, same installed 3rd party apps, etc.. VMware support can't really give me any light on where all these files came from (1.5G to 5G jump) and listing all the files above 10MB didn't shead any light either so I need to go folder by folder to try and find all these small files that are consuming the space.

Thanks for any help

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Go to the / folder and type "du -h --max-depth=1". If you want more depth increase it. If you want all directory tree remove the max-depth. Is that what you need?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Go to the / folder and type "du -h --max-depth=1". If you want more depth increase it. If you want all directory tree remove the max-depth. Is that what you need?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks, that was what I was looking for, didn't return the results I was hoping, still trying to find 3.5GB of files somewhere on the root even though the folder structure has the same sizes as a normal host.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos