VMware Cloud Community
rlaplante
Contributor
Contributor

Auto Deploy using Host Profile and DVS

I am working on a redesign of a production environment to migrate off of Cisco VM-FEX to VMware default DVS.  I am looking to utilize Auto Deploy with Host Profiles.  I have three new Cisco B200-M4 blade servers to work and test with.  Current Environment (Flexpod) Cisco UCSM 2.2(6c), vSphere / ESXi Ent+ 5.5 GA /  Netapp  UCS is pushing the current VM-FEX distributed switch into vCenter.

Here is what is working / where I am at

I have the host booting to PXE, downloaded the correct image, going the vCenter cluster.  It appears to be linked to the correct (only) host profile.  It however does not receive the defined DVS/uplinks/vmkernal adapters that are defined in the host profile.

I built the reference host, defined the various settings NTP, DNS, etc.  The DVS's were defined and uplinks mapped, vmkernal adapters defined.  I can review the host profile and the DVS's etcare listed.  The only thing not present are the IP addressing which to me is to be expected.

I noticed an error on the startup screen but it scrolled past before I could take note of it.  I'm starting to review the logs now but not sure which log file to start with.

Thanks for any direction / assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rlaplante
Contributor
Contributor

I stumbled across the issue.  Simply my inexperience with Auto Deploy / Host Profiles- etc.  I re-mediated the host by providing the vmkernal IP / subnet mask info.  Once that was completed the DVS was listed with the uplinks.  I knew that I needed to provide the IP info but I was expecting the DVS's vmkernal adapters, etc to be present in the networking view.  Guest not.

0 Kudos