VMware Cloud Community
SevanH
Contributor
Contributor

Auto-Deploy hangs after host registration but before rules checking

Hello,

I have setup an auto-deploy environment and I'm currently testing it with 2 different hosts:

-An HP DL380 that works fine (Auto-deploy is able to provide an image, and the server is correctly booting on it)

-An HP BL660 that does not work fine:

It is stuck during the PXE boot at the host-register?bootmac=XX:XX:..... and it never stops adding dots:

pastedImage_0.png

DHCP is working fine, and TFTP too (While sniffing the network I can see the TFTP server providing files).

The host is registered, as I can see it listed on the /vmw/rbd/host/ page

The image is OK as it is the same used by my other server.

I don't think it goes up to the rule checking though as it seems stuck before that.

I already let the server like that for more than 2 hours, and the only thing it does is adding dots:

pastedImage_1.png

This part on the other server never take longer than 30sec.

There is nothing special in the auto-deploy logs.

Only thing I can see is that the BL660 has a Windows OS installed on it whereas the DL380 has an ESXi installed on it. Stateless caching is not enable (even though it may have been on the same server for previous test), I am expecting the ESXi to be only present in RAM and not on disk (and therefore let the windows OS installed there).

Has anyone already experienced that and know how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Sevan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mrchrisp
Contributor
Contributor

We had exactly the same issue, but with a host that had previously booted fine using Auto Deploy. The fix for us was to restart the Auto Deploy Waiter service, have you tried that?

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
SevanH
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I did try that but I'm not sure. As I was unable to get it working, I lend the server to a colleague.

I'll try this once I'll get my server back and will keep you informed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SevanH
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

For information I had my server back, tested again and it works fine now.

I have no idea what happened and why which is not really reassuring...

Thanks anyway

Sevan

0 Kudos