VMware Cloud Community
crabanus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Authentication with RVC - root-PW not working - how to troubleshoot???

Hi there,

for monitoring vSAN I tried to login to RVC on a VC-Appliance (Name: vcva2, Version: 5.5.0 Update 1c). So I log into vcva2 with ssh and issue the command "rvc root@localhost". I'm asked for a password - I enter my root-PW and after a while the prompt for the password reappears. No error message, no successful login.

On another VC-Appliance (Name: vcva1, Version: 5.5.0 Update 1c) login to rvc after ssh to vcva1 works without a problem.

Now I've no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. Is there any logfile? Or can I turn on debug mode? Unfortunately I'm completely unfamiliar with Ruby... I assume, that RVC uses the standard way of authentication and authorization as all other tools in vSphere - correct?!?

BTW: Authentication in the environment controlled by vcva2 is OK, I can e.g. administer my infrastructure with user root via the web client (I've assigned this user the Administrator-Role in the inventroy).

Any help very appreciated.

Best regrads,

Christian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bpwoods
Contributor
Contributor

I have encountered the same thing, did you ever find out what the issue was?

0 Kudos
crabanus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, sorry, the issue is unsolved. Well, to go forward, I deleted the appliance with the problem and redeployed - and then it worked. But this of course is only possible in a lab environment...

0 Kudos