VMware Cloud Community
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

Running log insight 1.0.4, fully licenced.

As of 14th Jan Log insight is showing no events at all from any of my vCenter servers.  log insight has been restarted, vm restarted, all vCentre tests and checks work fine, and there is plenty of disk space left.

Any ideas?  There doesn't seem to be much in the way of debugging information for these appliances.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

If you have the "Email system notifications to" dialog configured and SMTP configured then you should receive an email notification if something is wrong. If the test is working it may be a permissions issue. See this link: VMware vCenter Log Insight 1.5 Documentation Center to confirm permissions required. If everything looks good, open a support case and upload a support bundle.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

SMTP is configured but no notifications or problems received or reported (Test email works fine).

Shouldn't be a permissions issue as was working fine, and NO changes have been made to the production environment. I can log into vSphere using the fat client and the log insight user and see all the alarms there.  I'll raise a support case.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Any update on this issue?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

Not really.  I took support bundle to raise with VMWare and Log Insight started importing events again.  It happened a subsequent time, and generating the support bundle fixed the problem again.

Never got to the bottom of it.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Can you upgrade? 1.5 GA has been out since January, and 2.0-beta has been out for the last two months.

0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

On 1.5GA now

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

And still same issue?

0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

yeah.  I think it because we have one loginsight instance.  3 vCenters, one at the other end of the country and one overseas.  Everything work fine normally (all vCenters in linked mode), but if there is any sort of interruption to any of the remote vCenters then all log insight importing stops.  Even after testing connection is successful.

0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a response from VMware after raising a ticket.  It's a bug that is fixed in the 2.0 release, released today.

So I'll download the pak, upgrade in place and see what happens.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Let me know how it goes!

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Just following up, were you able to upgrade? did it fix your issue?

0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

I was about to say yes.  After upgrading to 2.0 I get occasional emails from log insight saying unable to cotact vCenter x, but it recovers.   However this morning, I'd had no logs since 18:00 last night and log insight required a restart.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Hmm, what is your SR#? Can you update the SR and upload new logs? I would be specifically interested in /storage/var/loginsight/plugins/vsphere/li-vsphere.log

0 Kudos
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

SR#14486336606.  It's closed now, but happy to upload logs again.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

If it is closed, open a new case and be sure to upload the logs. I want to track this down as we have no issues reported for vSphere integration in 2.0.

0 Kudos
thepj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steve, I have actually seen this issue on our deployment as well:

This alert is about your Log Insight installation on IP

vCenter collection failed triggered at 2014-07-17T20:38:28.207Z

vCenter task and event collection failed for the following host:

Also see these for Archives failing to Archive. They eventually archive, and after tracking down networking and vCenter logs, and being able to mount it from the worker, we just are now filing them away based on Outlook rules automatically.

0 Kudos