VMware Cloud Community
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Change DNS servers in configuration?

Deployed the OVA, but it did not set the DNS servers, although they were entered.

How do I change networking settings to add DNS servers?

It states in settings:-

To change network settings, please see the Online Help. (Note that changes via the console are not supported.)

There is no mention in Online Help of how to do thjis, not that I could find.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

it made no difference removing the space, so we hacked the installtion to fix!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What OVF is this?

If this is the VCVA, try this:

Login to the console and type the following: /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net

This should bring up a menu to make the changes

Regards

A

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

(Note that changes via the console are not supported.)

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ya, I see the problem. Unfortunately, this is what I ended up doing

VMware vCenter Log Insight Oddities and Workarounds!

A support ticket should help - at least as a feature request to make this work out of the box!

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How did you set the DNS servers? Per http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/23723-102-4-31670/log-insight-10-beta-...:

You cannot change the network properties of the Log Insight virtual appliance at run time

Log Insight does not support changing the IP address, DNS, Gateway, or Hostname of the virtual appliance at run time.

Workaround: You must change them in vCenter vApp properties and perform a full VM shut down and then a power on.

1. Open a vSphere Client and locate the Log Insight virtual appliance.
  2. Shut down the guest operating system of Log Insight and power off the virtual appliance.
  3. Right-click the virtual appliance, select Edit Settings, and apply the changes to network properties.
  4. Power on the virtual appliance.
    Note: You must re-enable launch in context each time you change the network properties of the Log Insight virtual appliance.

How many DNS servers did you configure? Per http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/23650-102-1-31652/log-insight-10-insta...:

CAUTION Do not specify more than two domain name servers. If you specify more than two domain

name servers, all configured domain name servers are ignored in the Log Insight virtual appliance

The directions provided by the blog may work, but please note they are unsupported and may not work as expected.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks guys, as per manual and instructions, two specified at installation, comma separated, they are still both there, when I check the vApp settings.

looks like we'll be hacking the not supported console method!

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you post an image of the vApp options for your VM? If you configured two name servers separated by comma then it should work.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

sure here:-

insight.jpg

off to hack now....

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Try removing the space between the name servers so you have: 10.10.10.10,20.20.20.20

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Were you able to test this? Did it fix your issue?

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

it made no difference removing the space, so we hacked the installtion to fix!

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did the VAMI script work or you ended up manually editing the /network-scripts file?

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

we just hacked the Linux config, and made it work!

We guessed, sooner or later, there will be another OVA or update to apply, so could not care how we got it working.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

What version of vCenter Server did you deploy the VM to? What were the deployment steps that you took (e.g. did you just deploy clean and attempt to set networking information or did you try DHCP first and then switch to static, etc)?

While it is good you were able to get to set the information, it may get overridden on reboot so we would like to determine why it is not working. Can you generate a support bundle (go to Administration and select the Download support bundle from the health page) and upload it per the instructions here: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008525 (no need to create a SR just create a folder called einstein-loginsight).

If anyone else is experiencing this issue - please reply to this thread and include the how you are deploying the VM including the exact version of vCenter Server and deployment steps.

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter Server for Windows 5.1 U0

Import OVF - done, input information, done, next, next, next, power on.

it all worked, except DNS, clearly not working at first deployment, because could not resolve vcenter server and time servers.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Also did you enter a hostname during deployment (cannot tell from your screenshot) and if so, what did you enter? A support bundle would be helpful to track down the issue.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Just wanted to follow up. We want to track this issue down as using vApp options is the only supported way to set networking configuration. Could you generate a support bundle when you get the chance?

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Just following up - the Log Insight team would like to track down this issue as anything except vApp Options is not supported. If you could generate a support bundle that would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, can you please mark this question as answered?

0 Kudos