VMware Cloud Community
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vrops graphs could use improvement

Loving the data provided by this tool. I am finding that graphing can be difficult to work with at times. Case in point datastore latency graphs that include several parameters. The graph keys to what lines reflect each parameter are very hard to determine. Reminds me of vcenter storage performance graphs.

Tell me what each of the lines below represents? At a minimum provide some better color contrast or larger keys.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Age-old question.. what do the colors represent on the line graph? The colors are dynamically assigned and often difficult to match to closely-appearing metric labels in the legend.

The line graph is good for certain circumstances, but often the best way to use it is the split the graph so that you see the labels.

This color situation is a known and well-discussed condition and I would expect it to be addressed in the future. I cannot offer you a 'fix' right now, other than using the split graph feature.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mark thanks for the reply. I figured they were dynamically created but they should be able easily change the algorithm to use more colors or larger labels.

What do you mean by split graphs? I don't see any widgets for doing that.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The metric graph (now called metric chart) widget has the option on the top left of the menu bar to Split Graph and Stack Graph. Create/edit a dashboard, and you'll see what I mean when you work with a Metric Graph widget.

The widget you're showing us above is a view widget.. different beast entirely and for a different viewing purpose.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah custom dashboards... another reason to upgrade from standard edition!

0 Kudos