VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

vrops 6.6 update 1

Be sure to read the release notes. I almost missed the below. All tho i create my own i know a lot of people dont

Upgrading to vRealize Operations Manager 6.6.1 will reset out-of-the-box content as part of the software upgrade process even if the Reset Default Content button is unchecked during the upgrade. This implies that the user modifications made to default content such as alert definitions, symptom definitions, recommendations, policies, views, dashboards, widgets, and reports will be overwritten. You need to clone or backup the content before you upgrade to vRealize Operations Manager 6.6.1.

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of other helpful hints:

• Never edit or delete out-of-the-box alerts, views, reports, etc. Always clone to something new and make your changes there.
  • In future upgrades, you should be checking the box to "Reset Default Content" as this is what delivers fixes and improvements (even when they aren't forced upon you like the 6.6.1 patch).
0 Kudos
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we learned this neat trick from one of the VMware techs...

as daphnisov said. we never change default alerts, symptoms, reports, views, etc. themselves; we always clone them and tweak.  the cool trick is that whether we create new or clone, we always put an '_' underscore before the custom object.  that way they're always at the top of lists, and very easy to find if we need to export, etc..

So if I cloned a dashboard called "VM Summary" the new name would become "_VM Summary"

Super simple and super helpful IMHO.  Keeps the environment fresh and clean.

ops1axg
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have a doc or pdf showing exactly how to clone the default policy for example. I'd like to turn alerts off in the default but copy that policy. The 6.6 and 6.6.1 doc is pretty thin in giving step by step examples in cloning policies. Dashboards are easy. Thanks ahead of time.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This is best as a new thread. I can respond there with steps.

0 Kudos