VMware Cloud Community
lake_traveller
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize feature - can it audit VM configuration changes

Does vRealize Operations Manager have the ability to gather historical config data for VMs?   Such as what was done, (add mem, increase drive, etc), and by whom?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I dont think vrops will do this by its self. Several years ago i use vrealise configuration manager to do what you are looking for as a POC but not looked into it for a wile. You may also get log insight to do what you want as it collects vcenter logs to. Depending on your licencing you may get these two products

0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rumor has it this is coming late this year.

0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's pretty close.  That will show CPU and memory changes, and if the number of disks on the VM change, so that in itself is helpful. It doesn't give info on who made the changes.  I'd also like to see more detail on events where someone adds space to a disk, or adds a new disk.  Today these are generic events and if SDRS is enabled show up as SDRS events and not VM events. I have a feeling some big changes to vCenter need to happen before those types of events work in the same way.  Thanks for this article though, it does help.

0 Kudos