VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

vROps throughput across datacenter

What is the quickest easiest way to view the sum of the total throughput of all VMs in a given vCenter datacenter object?  Can this be done with a custom view or do I need a supermetric?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Create a custom view using the list view. Use VM as the selected subject, add in the throughput metric you want. Change the transformation to what you want (Min, Max, latest etc). Select the time frame you want the transformation to use. Then add a summary line and select sum as the aggregation. You can add it to a dashboard or report and run it against the datacenter object and will show you the total at the bottom of the list.

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Thanks again.  This gets me close but I have one issue.  When I do it this way, vROps looks at the time period I select, then it gets the throughput metric for a single VM over that time period (last 30 days).  Then it goes to the next VM, and gets the metric for that Vm, and so on for each individual VM.  AFter it is done getting the info for each VM, the summary row gives me the total for all the individual VMs.

What I'm trying to do is a bit different.

I'd like to get, for a single point in time, the sum of all the virtual disk | read_average (KBps) for all VMs in the datacenter at once at that point in time.  Then I want to look at that value over a period of time and see what the peak value was. 

Is this possible with a custom view or do I need a supermetric that combines "virtual disk | read_average (KBps)" for all VMs?

0 Kudos