VMware Cloud Community
Rugbot
Contributor
Contributor

vROps 6 : Monitoring Cluster CPU/MEM Reservations in vROps

Hi All

I need to know if there is a way to track the Total Capacity | Reserved Capacity | Available Capacity counters for each of our vSphere clusters via vROps.
ie; the metrics you can see on the Monitor > Resource Allocation tab in the vSphere client. While I can get this via Powershell - we would prefer for everyone in our organisation to see this via a vROps dashboard.

We use vCloud Director and so Reservations are applied at the Resource Pool level, rather than VM level  on our environments. Summing the reservations reported on resource-pools, host or VM level within vROps - I simply done see  numbers anywhere near what I see in vSphere (and need to get to) .

Thanks

3 Replies
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Havnt tested it - but i belive you can get that by installing the mangement pack for vCD.

vCD should be the source of your query.

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I recommend against using the vCD MP at this point. If you can get by without it, do it. I has some very harsh scale limitations in terms of the size vCD environment it can successfully collect from, which I dealt with on a few occasions.

If you need to sum up reservations from RPs, you can definitely use a Supermetric to accomplish that at the Cluster object level.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Rugbot
Contributor
Contributor

‌i agree about scalability/impact of vCD MP... we no longer use it.  anyway, I was looking for a more generic solution to this problem -  independent of VCD.

supermetrics it is ... groan 😞

thanks both.