VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

vROPs with vCloud Suite Enterprise license question

I install vROPs 6.0 and added vCloud Suite Enterprise licenses to vROPS license interface.  I cannot figure out to associate them with vSphere Hosts in vROPs.

My vCenter adapter appears to be working OK,  but I am getting no metrics.  Assuming it is because of licensing.

Thanks,

-Matt

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

Digging deeper,  when I look through Environment Overview,  there are no hosts listed.   Again trying to figure out if this is vROPs licensing or vCenter.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When you add a OSI-based license key, by default it'll associate it to the "Product Licensing" group. You can see the members of this group by navigating to the "License Groups" sub-tab and clicking on "Product Licensing" and "Members" below it.

When you add a socket/proc-based license key (such as the vCloud Suite key you mentioned), by default it won't associate to a License Group. You need to to create a Licensing Group that has the Host Systems. Under the "Licensing Group" sub-tab, choose the license key you just added, add in the vCenter adapter's Host Systems you want (dynamically preferably), then refresh the pane in the "License Keys" sub-tab.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

This is still an issue.  I do not see hosts in the Environment Overview that I can associate with licensing.

-MattG

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is not done in Environment Overview. Go to the licensing tab/section to do this change.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

I am doing it from licensing. When I try to choose objects in the

licensing group it is not showing Hosts to select. Which leads me to

think that it is something else.

-MattG

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM, mark.j <communities-emailer@vmware.com>

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This group isn't going to just appear that contains the hosts, you need to create it.

GO to licensing > licensing groups. This is a tab on top. By default you'll see "unlicensed group" and "product licensing" - you won't use either of these. Click the ADD button to create new group. Give it a name.. e.x. "hosts". Select a key you wish to use - this would be your host/socket key. Then statically or dynamically define what vSphere hosts are in the group. Click NEXT. In this preview window, you'll see which hosts will be in the group. If you DO NOT see the hosts n this preview, you didn't identify the hosts correctly in the previous step and you need to revisit it. Click finish when completed.

Head back to the licensing > license keys tab, hit "refresh" next to the Add / Delete button, and you'll see the host/socket license key now reflect "x units of number of CPU..." base don the # sockets in your hosts.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

What previous step? I created a new Host licensing group. When I try to

explicitly add the host to the group I can navigate down to cluster, but

no further. It doesn't know about the hosts. It appears that all other

objects are available (VMs, Datastores, etc).

-MattG

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:41 PM, mark.j <communities-emailer@vmware.com>

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you double click the cluster, it should expand the hierarchy. OR, when you select your cluster, click the ADD button to the right, and the little dropdown to the right of the ADD button shows "Selected objects and descendants".. which will select all of the Hosts under it.

However, ideally I'd suggest doing a dynamic membership criteria to keep the host group current as hosts come and go from your environment.. see attached screenshot to grab all of your hosts via a criteria.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Thats the problem. It is not showing the hosts at all. There is no arrow

next to cluster to indicate that there are child hosts. When I add the

cluster and select add children it only add the cluster. Where should I

troubleshoot Hosts not being added in vROPs?

-MattG

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM, mark.j <communities-emailer@vmware.com>

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you don't see the hosts, then you've got a permissions issue with the account your using for vCenter collection.Make sure you're giving it read-only, global:health and storage view:views at the vCenter level with propg enabled.

Alternatively, create a new account with the perms.. you might have a "no access" somewhere in your hierarchy smacking down the access.

0 Kudos