VMware Cloud Community
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vROPS VM Configuration|Creation Date is not readable

Hello,

Could you help me with a creation date of VM?

I need to add to the report date when VM was created. I have found that VM in vROPS has a metric called Configuration|Creation Date but probably it is not human readable.

pastedImage_0.png

How can I convert it to a readable date? My license allows me to use a super metric if it can help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, in upcoming vROps 8.1 "views/reports"  are already support  " VM Configuration|Creation Date" value in human friendly format

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is epoch time. Normally you can use transformation to convert but you can't use it today to convert it to human readable time.

Will probably be fixed in the next version.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, in upcoming vROps 8.1 "views/reports"  are already support  " VM Configuration|Creation Date" value in human friendly format

0 Kudos
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
albogadocmeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RobertMesropyan

i'm on 8.1 and although the creation date is human readable...it is not accurate.  I have VMs showing creation date of 2,862 weeks ago and my environment is only 4 years old.  Can you show me a working view or report or provide help on why I am still not seeing correct info?  Will you only see correct date for VMs created after 8.1 installed?

0 Kudos
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi albogadocmeg, please try attached _VM_CreationDate view

0 Kudos
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Attachement

albogadocmeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks RobertMesropyan​ appreciate your help, I believe the transformation was the key element I missed.  This will do nicely...glad to see this finally get in the product!

0 Kudos
albogadocmeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One more thing RobertMesropyan​ .  Any idea how I can filter the view to show only vms created last 24 hours?  The filter options seem to be limited to epoch time?

RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

albogadocmeg​ Unfortunately, filtering by different transformations is not supported yet. Existing filtering based on raw last values.

0 Kudos
Cbroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if you can create a super metric or something and convert the creation date value into number of days etc?

Once you have a metric of its age you can make reports and or filter views etc...

0 Kudos
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you tried to configure  the "VM Configuration|Creation Date" with Timestamp transformation, Relative Timestamp option and "Day(s)" unit?
0 Kudos
Cbroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Robert,

Yes i have been able to do that but i dont see a way to filter those results for example all VM's that were created in the last week etc given the view filters dont seem recognise the transformed value..?

0 Kudos
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, View filtering doesn't accept humar-friendly format, it requires exact value in milleseconds.
0 Kudos
Cbroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes this has been my experience with the view filtering also.

Do you know of a way to use a super metric to do the same transformation on the creation date value to a running count of number of days old or something?

I have been able to transform the creation date in a relative date format and get days old but to filter the results to just show the last week it i needs to use an absolute number and while this works for the day i run the report i think it will be wrong when i run it the week after...?

0 Kudos
RobertMesropyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't see easy workaround with super metrics since time functions are not supported by super metrics. 

Yes, you are correct - week after results will changed.
So, probably the best solution is enable sorting for Creation Date column and then manupulate with resulting CSV data.

0 Kudos
Cbroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RobertMesropyan​ Yes this was my conclusion too. What a shame such a simple filter is not possible in custom reports, hopefully this is available in 8.2 but i wont hold my breath.

0 Kudos
gsravan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the metric, but i am not getting the output, vmconfiguration|creation date showing blank(-). is there any possibility yo get the correct date.

0 Kudos
muratbu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OMG not possible, why? I just looking last 7 days created VMs, It's not rocket science.

Current unix time - (60*60*24*7) 7 days = foo(7 days ago time)

filter : VM create time > foo

0 Kudos