VMware Cloud Community
Chris99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Evaluation license issues

Hi

I have just downloaded and installed vCenter Server evaluation. When I logon to the vCenter server via vSphere client and try to add the host and vm's I get the message that my evaluation license has expired yet according to vMware it doesn't expire until December 2011.

I have checked the host for time and date configuration and this is correct.

If this helps, I have the esxi5 host installed on one server and have created two esxi5 vm's as well as three windows os vm's.

I appreciate any help on this.

Cheers

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
STRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Chris

Typically the Host has a Date in the past after setup. if you had a wrong date on the host at the initial (first) boot of the vCenter Appliance the Appliance boot with the wrong "BIOS" date from the host. later correcting of the Date don't help fixing the trial licence issue.

Conclusion: delete the vCenter Appliance, check the Date and time setting of the ESXi host and deploy the vCenter Appliance again. If now the Appliance boot the first time, the 60 day trial works as expected.

good luck!

Regards

Ivo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
STRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Chris

Do you use the vCenter Appliance or a installed version on Windows?

Is the vCenter Server a VM?

Kind regards

Ivo

0 Kudos
Chris99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thsanksi Ivo

I use the appliance - I deployed it using the OVF template. It installed fine.

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
Chris99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ivo

Extra answer - its not a VM. Template deploy to the host.

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
STRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Chris

Typically the Host has a Date in the past after setup. if you had a wrong date on the host at the initial (first) boot of the vCenter Appliance the Appliance boot with the wrong "BIOS" date from the host. later correcting of the Date don't help fixing the trial licence issue.

Conclusion: delete the vCenter Appliance, check the Date and time setting of the ESXi host and deploy the vCenter Appliance again. If now the Appliance boot the first time, the 60 day trial works as expected.

good luck!

Regards

Ivo

0 Kudos
Chris99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ivo

Thanks for the reply and you are right. I changed the Date and Time setting on the Host after vCenter Server install.

Meanwhile, I had sent an email to vMware and thay have supplied me with a new evaluation password which I have applied and everything os working well.

Once again thnks for your help. My knowledge is expanding!!

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos