VMware Cloud Community
daunce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Operations

Just curious to hear how people are going with the vCenter Operations demo.

I usually get a little bit of cpu ready and disk latency on occassions, but vCOP is showing network issues, which is news to me. Often a host goes red, and in further investigation it shows the host at 100% Net I/O and is "Bound by: Net I/O" in the workload summary.

It happens on a few different hosts, with a couple of the VM's being the culpret.

It reports very different values for core utilization as from what vSphere performance charts say.

The doco doesn't really explain what all the values and pretty pictures mean..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobBerginNH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's pretty but not sure how useful it is.

It also seems to be 1:1 with a vCenter - so if you run multiple vCenters, do you need multiple vCOPS?

I heard the Enterprise version may be able to support multiple vCenters - it may be worth waiting for.

It also seems like its an re-branding of the acquired product vs. new development - anyone know if it was upgraded or just got a VMW sticker on it?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I was in the BETA, and think that this is a great product.  It really takes time and effort out of troubleshooting performance issues.

I observed those 100% Net I/O conditions as well, and in every case it was an agented backup running on the VM that was causing it.

The way vCenter Operations uses the data it collects is quite different from the vCenter metrics, so it makes sense that you may be seeing differences there.  Especially depending on how "rolled up" the data in vCenter is.

Good Luck!

Note: Thread was moved to the VMware vCenter Operations community.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just stood up vCenter Ops Std.     A few of our VM's are sowing Red due to network as well.   They are  utilizing  between 2 and 4 MB/sec.  The server is sitting on  10 Gb links.    Is there a way to set a threshold or are they all dynamic?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I cant start a new thread but I am getting a "This program cannot display the webpage" error trying to use the plugin inside vCenter.  Accessing it from a web browser works fine.  I would like to use it inside vCetner.  Version info below

About VMware vSphere.jpg

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

what you see inside vSphere-client is also web-browser, the default IE you have installed on the system is used.

So make sure you can open VCOps from IE (on the same machine!) - check your security settings for example.

once it works in IE (standalone), it should be OK inside vSphere-client as well.

0 Kudos
RobBerginNH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's pretty but not sure how useful it is.

It also seems to be 1:1 with a vCenter - so if you run multiple vCenters, do you need multiple vCOPS?

I heard the Enterprise version may be able to support multiple vCenters - it may be worth waiting for.

It also seems like its an re-branding of the acquired product vs. new development - anyone know if it was upgraded or just got a VMW sticker on it?

0 Kudos