VMware Cloud Community
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCenter Operations Manager 5.7 is now available

vCenter Operations Manager 5.7 is now available

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_opera...

https://www.vmware.com/support/vcops/doc/vcops-57-vapp-release-notes.html

What's new:

More Flexibility with Capacity Planning

• Assess capacity risk and plan by allocation and/or actual demand:  Set policies based on your varying business needs to assess capacity  risk, efficiency, and forecast. For example, different buffers,  over-commit ratios, alert thresholds, business hours, etc., across  production and test-dev environments.
  • New views for Cluster Capacity Risk: Quickly  identify via color-coded Cluster capacity risk view which clusters  grouped by business criteria, etc., are at capacity risk—facing a  capacity shortfall now or in the near future or just not sized right.  Drill down for each cluster in the Cluster Risk Detail view to analyze  which resource is it constrained on and why.
  • New policies for common environments and workloads:  New out-of-the-box policies, such as Production and Test-Dev policies,  enable quick set-up of vCenter Operations Manager capacity settings for  common types of environments. Additional new out-of-the-box policies,  such as Batch workload, Interactive workload, and Ignore VMs policies,  help fine-tune capacity configuration settings to accurately right size  and analyze different workloads based on their performance  characteristics.

Improved Self-Monitoring

This release introduces new diagnostics metrics to monitor the health  and availability of vCenter Operations Manager components, such as  Analytics, Collector, Active MQ, Web server, database, and operating  system.

Widgets with Improved Flexibility and Usability

• Health Tree Widget: Easy visualization for large number of objects.
  • Generic Scoreboard Widget: Support for Sparkline, string metrics, and metrics filtering by resource.
  • Metric Sparkline Widget: Configurable color ranges and units, support for resource type and label.
  • Resource Widget: Customizable to add metrics beyond health.
  • Top-N Analysis Widget: Support for analysis based on latest values.

New Custom Relationship Widget

Allows you to build a custom resource hierarchy and relationship  view, just like the existing out-of-the-box vCenter Server view.

Custom UI Import and Export Changes for Dashboards and Super Metrics

• Export format changed from binary (.bin) to XML (.xml): .bin formats are still supported for backward compatibility.
  • DBCLI Enhancements: Programmatically import and export Super Metrics.
  • Pre-population of Dashboard objects during import.

Balanced Metrics Profile

This release introduces a new metrics profile that reports a reduced  set of metrics. Increase the scalability of vCenter Operations Manager  to support more resources by changing the metrics profile to the new  "Balanced" profile in vCenter Operations Manager Administration.

VMware vCenter Infrastructure Navigator Filtering Capability

You can configure how resources discovered by vCenter Infrastructure  Navigator are displayed in vCenter Operations Manager. This release  introduces a configurable filtering capability to the vCenter  Infrastructure Navigator adapter to control Application service and  Application resource reporting. For each resource type, you can  configure either "blackList" or "whiteList" filtering in the  configuration file filterList.txt.

• blackList: The vCenter Infrastructure Navigator  adapter ignores specified entries. If an Application Service name or an  Application name is included in the "blackList," it is not reported by  the vCenter Infrastructure Navigator adapter. This is the default  setting. The vCenter Infrastructure Navigator adapter filters unknown  Application service names by default.
  • whiteList: The vCenter Infrastructure Navigator  adapter reports only the specified entries. If there are no entries  added to the whiteList mode, none of the resources of the corresponding  resource type are displayed.

New Browser Support

This release adds new support for the following browsers: Apple  Safari version 6, Google Chrome versions 24 and 25, and Mozilla Firefox  18 and 19.

Security Hardening

This release includes additional security hardening and increases  compliance with The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) and The  Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) guidelines.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In addition to that Groups in vSphere UI now support rules based on all properties comming from the VMware adapter.

Hope this will be useful.

Thanks,

Alex D.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In addition to that Groups in vSphere UI now support rules based on all properties comming from the VMware adapter.

Hope this will be useful.

Thanks,

Alex D.

0 Kudos
killeroo100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting blog post highlighting the new features posted as well : http://blogs.vmware.com/management/2013/04/vcenter-ops-mgr-5-7.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&ut...

vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Guys,

Does the vCenter Operations Manager 5.7 supports the vSphere 4.1 Environment and ESX 4.1??

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VK - yes, it does.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Gradinka

0 Kudos
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From vCenter Operations Manager 5.7 Deploy Guide:

vCenter Server and ESX Requirements
The vCenter Operations Manager vApp requires the following vSphere environment.
vCenter Operations Manager is compatible with:
  • System that serves as the target of data collection: VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U2 or later
  • System running the vApp: VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U2 or later
  • Host running the vApp: ESX/ESXi 4.0 or higher
vCenter Server includes a service called VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices.
vCenter Operations Manager requires vCenter Server to run this service.
BROKMATIC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bonjour,

Merci d’adresser vos communications aux adresses suivantes :

Demande technique : assistance@brok-matic.com<mailto:assistance@brok-matic.com>

Demande administrative : alban.devorsine@brok-matic.com<mailto:alban.devorsine@brok-matic.com>

Cordialement,

Alban DEVORSINE - Gérant

====================================================

BROK'MATIC

15 rue Voltaire - 44000 Nantes

http://www.brok-matic.com<http://www.brok-matic.com/>;

N° Mobile : 06 82 85 31 29

Tél : 02 40 69 87 42 - Fax : 02 40 69 60 50

====================================================

0 Kudos
xinghai8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have vCOPs 5.6 intalled right now. I was about to download the upgrade file pak file from here https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VCOPS-570-STD-WITH-KEY&productId=332&rPId=3.... But even after registering the trial, I could not download it.

Anyone has successfully downloaded the .pak file?

BTW, I can download the ovf file whithout any issue.

Thanks,

Wei

0 Kudos
killeroo100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I was able to download and update without issue. I would suggest having a look at your license entitlement in My VMware and see what it says.

0 Kudos
xinghai8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have not purchased the licensing yet. We had the trial of version 5.6 installed last week.  Now I wanted to simply donwload the .pak file to upgrade instead of installing Version 5.7 with the downloaded OVF file.

Thanks,

Wei

0 Kudos
rkilimci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade vCenter Operations Manager Advanced 5.6 to Enterprise 5.7

or can I just upgrade to Advanced 5.7?

Thanks in advance,

Ramazan

0 Kudos
killeroo100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, yes that is possible. You should be able to deploy the vCops appliance then run the update pak to 5.7 and attach the Enterprise license in vCenter.

0 Kudos
SASVenus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How does the scalability factor weight in with vCOPS Enterprise?

Is it factored on the number of VM's per vCOPS server or based on the number of metrics/KPI's collected by the vCOPS server (in a large environment)??

thanks

0 Kudos
rkilimci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I know it is based on how many metrics you're collecting. You can reference the installation guide for this.

In that guide there are three suggestions for size of both UI VM and Analytics VM.

0 Kudos
killeroo100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes as rkilimci says I believe it is based on how many metrics you are collecting. My understanding is that there is a support limit of 10,000 VMs at the moment with vCOPs but is due to rise in upcoming releases.

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

re: downloading PAK file

I selected the Manual Download for the "PAK Updater" and received a ZIP file with a bunch of RDMs.... twice

Then I selected the Download Manager option ... and it's taking forever (going on 45 min - at 71%)

... sure hope its the right file....and not corrupted ...

The wrong file took less than a minute.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@TBKing That's known problem with some browsers.

rename the ZIP to PAK and you're all set Smiley Wink

the pak file is just that

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did eventually get the PAK downloaded.

And upgraded without a hitch

.. but ...

The license doesn't seem to be working.

The file name on the download page is 5.6 ENT, though described as 5.7 Ent

We are licensed for 5.x Enterprise

We are on vCenter 5.0.0

After the upgrade, in the vC client we get a Script Error: key is null or not an object

If I go to the web, the Custom UI is "not licensed" and the vSphere UI is Foundation.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you need different license key (suite license) for 5.6 and 5.7 when using 5.0 and above vcenter. please refer to release notes.

0 Kudos