VMware Cloud Community
edwardm007
Contributor
Contributor

vCOPs VC Name Resolution

I am not able to follow the deployment guide procedure and configure the initial setup wizard to contact my VC by name.

I followed the deployment guide - it tells you to configure the IP pool with the DNS information and then deploy the ova.  I configured the DNS servers and the domain suffix for the IP pool and was able to deploy successfully.  However I was not able to resolve the VC name (I was able to go through the initial setup wizard by IP).  I was not able to resolve the VC name from the UI server, but was able to ping by IP.

Once I manually updated the UI VM netconfig, I am now able to resolve the VC name and complete the initial setup wizard using VC FQDN.

Has anyone run into this or am I configuring the IP Pool incorrectly?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Edward,

My Guess is the UI VM failed to derive nslookup to VC when you try to connect. What is the manual netconfig u did at the UI VM?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
edwardm007
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the UI VM and Analytics VMs could not resolve the name.  I had to manually add the domain suffix and DNS servers to the netconfig.

What I am wondering is, is this extra configuration necessary?  Or should the VMs be getting the information from the IP Pool that was configured for the vApps to use?

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

edwardm007, the IP Pool should provide that - and based on your description you did set this up correctly.  Just to confirm, did you associate the IP Pool with the network that is used by the VMs?

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
edwardm007
Contributor
Contributor

Yep the IP Pool is created on the DC where the vApp lives and it is associated with the network that the VMs reside on. The DNS servers were entered as a comma separated list.  I also see in the vApp advanced properties that the DNS, gateway, IPs, etc all look correct.

I just took the IP info out of the UI VM and powered off and powered back on again as a test in case maybe the VMs needed more reboots or something.  Still did not work, had to re-apply the manual IP configuration.

0 Kudos