VMware Cloud Community
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCOPs Hardware Version of VM?

Hi All

My VMs for vCOPs are on Hardware Version 7, so same as when i first added v5.6 some time ago, can i do a virtual hardware upgrade on these to hardware version 10 (as i have just done my v5.5 and vCOPs 5.8.0 upgrade)

Thanks.

Stew
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would recommend you not to do it. They should be upgraded with the PAK file VMware provides. If its just to stay updated and you don't have any other reason i would suggest you let it be.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would recommend you not to do it. They should be upgraded with the PAK file VMware provides. If its just to stay updated and you don't have any other reason i would suggest you let it be.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you *can* do it, but as

mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can do it, but the only 'reason' you have to do it is if you need to add virtual resources to Analytics/UI VMs that surpass the maximums allowed by virtual hardware v7 (larger configurations/deployments). There is no 'performance' benefit to just upgrading from v7 to v10, so wait until you have an actual reason.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cool cool, thanks all. I will leave it.  The PAK didnt ugrade the OS or the hardware, but i will just leave it.

Stew
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

PAKs do not upgrade the OS when installed via the /admin portal. You would need to copy a PAK to the UI VM and run the upgrade command from there, which upgrades both the UI and Analytics VMs. See the release notes for vC Ops 5.8 for specific commands for this.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos