VMware Cloud Community
sorina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

total latancy in datastores

Hi

My host has some datastores.one of the them has high latency. what do I Do???

we know total latency=device katency+kernel latency .if we asume device or kernel latency is high,how should solve problem?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What I find often is that high latency alerts for datastores are tied into PLANNED moves. Big chunks of data moving to meet a planned need. Are your datastores showing high latency without cause? for extended periods of time?

I have the internal vcenter team provide guidelines on what they consider latency for read ps and write ps and make those HARD threshold KPIs in vcops. Then when an alert happens its a matter of understanding planned vs unplanned, then its a matter of drilling into data with your experts.

IMHO - Being admin on vcops doesnt mean you know the environment better than your teams... it means you have useful data to share and then develop the best levels together and the SOP for when latency occurs and the steps to follow. We are working thru stuff like this now... and testing the Symmetrix adapter. Currently that isnt addressing the HBA level so we miss some key data points, but we are working on the txt adapter and other methods to get better data in vcops.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What I find often is that high latency alerts for datastores are tied into PLANNED moves. Big chunks of data moving to meet a planned need. Are your datastores showing high latency without cause? for extended periods of time?

I have the internal vcenter team provide guidelines on what they consider latency for read ps and write ps and make those HARD threshold KPIs in vcops. Then when an alert happens its a matter of understanding planned vs unplanned, then its a matter of drilling into data with your experts.

IMHO - Being admin on vcops doesnt mean you know the environment better than your teams... it means you have useful data to share and then develop the best levels together and the SOP for when latency occurs and the steps to follow. We are working thru stuff like this now... and testing the Symmetrix adapter. Currently that isnt addressing the HBA level so we miss some key data points, but we are working on the txt adapter and other methods to get better data in vcops.

0 Kudos
sorina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ServiceOptimi wrote:

. We are working thru stuff like this now... and testing the Symmetrix adapter. Currently that isnt addressing the HBA level so we miss some key data points, but we are working on the txt adapter and other methods to get better data in vcops

Thanks

Can you explain me this section more?

0 Kudos