VMware Cloud Community
vharry
Contributor
Contributor

supermetric with text

I am trying to configure a super metric with only some text, so that I can then assign the super metric to a set objects and include that metric in views/reports etc... for example I might have Gold tier data store that I have created a group for and want to have a property call Gold associated with it... essentially I am trying to use it as a text property of the object.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Best way to do this is to apply Tags in vCenter.  Then you will be able to filter and view them using the "View widget". You can find the vSphere Tag property under "Properties". 

Personal blog VMignite.com
0 Kudos
vharry
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I am aware of Tags, however they have the following problems; - they appear with additional characters in views - they are only applicable to vCenter objects - they requires changes applied to objects in vCenter (not to mention consistency) so, all I really need is to be able to assign a property/text/attribute to an object or object type so I can use it in views and output in CSV's. It would be great if I could also perform logical conditions as well... such as if part of certain vcenter and has 4 nics then text = "blah".

0 Kudos
koit12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution to this?

I want to take one tag from the long "vSphere Tag"-string and create a Super Metric from it.

This is an example of the vSphere Tag format:

[<Business Group-Management>,<Production Class-Test>,<Security Level-Internal>]

How can I create a Super Metric that makes a "Business Group" property on my VMs?

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As far as I know super metrics have to be numeric.  It's possible to add properties to objects using the vROps REST API, but it would require a good deal of scripting.  I experimented with this briefly a while back and it wasn't really worth the effort for my use case, but it might be worth taking a look at.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

We had the same problem. We have 50 clusters in different environment and i wanted a way to display what environment they belong to so we look at tags and as you said they display a not very nice text string.

We now use the rest API to create the custom properties with in vrops for the object. We use it to add data to objects from several different sources (strangly one is vcenter) We have a large environment so it was worth the time to implement. There are a couple of things with this

1. You need to know Rest API calls
  2. Once the properties are created you cant delete it. You can modify the value of the property but not delete it. I think the option to delete the custom property is on the road map

I dont know your environment so i dont know if this will work but in 6.4 you can now have the parent folder for the VMs and the clusters. You could create the folders and move the objects into those folders and use that property in your lists/views

0 Kudos
AFriedrich76
Contributor
Contributor

The topic is a bit old, but is there already a solution for this.

0 Kudos
AFriedrich76
Contributor
Contributor

do you have a solution for the problem and can you tell me the solution?

0 Kudos