VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

how can run a script on linux vm for check service and show in vrops

Dear all

Hi

i have use vrops 6.6 with enterprise license now for example i have a linux vm that there is a specific services on that how can i run a script on linux vm for check that service and if service down it show in alerts

can it do ??

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

you dont need a script. Vrops allowes you to do this with the EPO agent and was introduced in 6.1

vROPS 6.1 and the New End Point Operations Monitoring Feature - VMware Blogs

I have only done this for windows a windows service but i know you can chose monitor process

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks

but if i want epop have to install an apk file or just need install agent on client ???

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

You install the linux agent on you linux server like you install anything on a linux server

VMware Documentation Library

to monitor a process

VMware Documentation Library

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

so thanks but there is 2 problem :

1 - now i add one of my windows service (service name is SNMPTRAP) by default is not running

and health status is green and not show any critical and also when i start it health status still green why it not work correctly?

2 - now how in redhat linux is java and when i type ps -ef | grep java it show java process id and java service name now

for linux how can i say it for check java and if it was not up show alert?

in that document could not understand service check on linux

BR

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

answer to 1

The health status is the health status of the monitoring of the service not the service run state. What you want to look at is the availability metric for the service in the environment -> operating systems-> windows and select the server then the service being monitored. You can set up alerts using that metric

I cant help with point 2 as i dont use the eops on linux

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

thanks

but how can i create a badge for example if my snmp service down it show me such as health badge and show critical ?

BR

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

There is an availability metric for the EOPS agent. This is for a windows vcenter service i have set up. If it is 100 it is green. if it is 0 it is red.

pastedImage_0.png

I then created a dashboard with the server in it and coloured it the way i wanted using the availability metric

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

so thanks

but i want to know for example if my IIS service has been stopped healt status badge is green and availability in metrics will be 0 ???

and in alerts will be show iis service down????

BR

Babak

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

The availability metric will be one of two values only

100 = good and up

0 = bad and down

You will then configure you alerts and dashboard to trigger on what the value is. It is up to you to decide what is a good value and what is a bad value and configure the alert as you require.

0 Kudos