VMware Cloud Community
nlbisd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update VMware tools in vCenter Operations Manager

Hello all, I've just come from using Citrix Xenserver to VMware vCenter with Operations Manager 5.8.4.  I've searched all over and can't find an answer to this.  Is it okay to update the VMware Tools in the vCOPS vApp?  I've just started backing up my new environment with Veeam v8 and it warns me that the VMware Tools are out of date.  The only reason I ask is because, coming from Citrix Xenserver v6.2, whenever a VM appliance is provided by Citrix, you're stuck with the tools provided within that appliance until they update the appliance.

If it is okay to update the VMware tools, is it as simple as opening the console to each of the VM's in the vApp and telling it to "Install/Upgrade Vmware Tools"?  Or is there a more complicated step?

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

AFAIK upgrading of VMware tools is not recommended on vCops .

This breaks the appliance and you can safely ignore the message of VMware tools out-of-date.

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

AFAIK upgrading of VMware tools is not recommended on vCops .

This breaks the appliance and you can safely ignore the message of VMware tools out-of-date.

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is not recommended. I've never seen it break the appliance, at least with 5.8.x, but that's not to say it couldn't. At the end of the day, there really isn't any advantage to upgrading the VM Tools, as the out of the box drivers are more than sufficient in supporting the virtual appliance functions. Granted, VM Tools reflects 'out of date' in the vCenter/vSphere VM Tools status, but so do most other virtual appliances. I'd suggest playing it safe and not upgrade..

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
nlbisd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys.  I assumed that might be the case.  I just couldn't find anywhere that said one way or another.  I'll leave it be!

0 Kudos