VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Tracking Growth of vCOPs database

Suppose I start my vCOps installation out with the standard disk configuration of two virtual disks of 12GB and 200GB.  What is the standard way of tracking when this is filling up so I can plan to add a virtual disk before it is full?  I need to schedule an outage to add a virtual disk and have enough lead time for a change control, etc. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The alert is initiated at 15% free. The clean-up happens at ~10%.

You can improve your response by create an alert that is -recurring- for the Administrative Alert > System subtypes. This recurring alert won't let you forget.

Also, you could add a KPI_HT for the disk space on the UI/Analytics volumes to exclusively alert you when <15% free... this can be done at the VM level or leverage the vC Ops Application container and alert from there.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You will get an administrative alert when free-space on either VM gets below 10%

But,  that is not very reliable, as you can miss it (it seems most people do anyway). So having an 'external' method to check this seems a better approach.

e.g. remote script which triggers once a week, logs via SSH, checks the free space, then reports somehow that you WILL see it.

interesting to hear how other people handle that, of course!

jomccon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We recently ran out of space because we missed the 10% alert.  Our plan is to have that Alert sent to SMARTS, which our outage team watched 24x7.

mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The alert is initiated at 15% free. The clean-up happens at ~10%.

You can improve your response by create an alert that is -recurring- for the Administrative Alert > System subtypes. This recurring alert won't let you forget.

Also, you could add a KPI_HT for the disk space on the UI/Analytics volumes to exclusively alert you when <15% free... this can be done at the VM level or leverage the vC Ops Application container and alert from there.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok thanks for the input all

0 Kudos
jomccon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just a heads up, we're running 5.7.1 and the clean up at 10% didn't work so the disk filled up and the application crashed.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you lose data when vCOps crashed or was the historical data recoverable?

0 Kudos
jomccon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, we didn't lose any data.  We added a new disk to the vApp, restarted, and it worked pretty easily.  We only lost the data during the time the app was down.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thanks for input

0 Kudos