VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Showing Ping Test Results in vROps

I want to get information on every item in vCOps / vROPs as to whether a ping test is successful on it and if it fails how long it has failed for.  What tools that VMware provides can I integrate with vCOps to make this happen?  What is the easiest way to do this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What exactly are you trying to monitor, vROPs itself ?

If yes, you have "Self Health" dashboard and self monitoring metrics in vROPs.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Thanks - question wasn't very clear sorry.  So I have a whole bunch of things in my environment that I want to monitor.  Some of them are physical servers, or network devices, or storage units, etc.  Some of these things have adapters built for them, some don't.  But I don't have a way to get the results of a poll or ping test about them into vCOps.  For example, my physical linux server sitting across the datacenter goes down.  I want to see if I can ping it, and bring the results into vCOps.  How can I feed the results of a ping test into vCOps, and then provide a notification if that ping test fails?  

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There is a lot of alerts such as Object is down, Resource is down, One or more vRealize Operations services are down etc. All those alerts you can find in Content -> Alert Definitions. In case you don't have a relevant alert on one of the resources/objects you can create it using by "Availability" metric of resource.

Regarding to physical machines (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX) I'm recommending to use hyperic that is working very good with vROPs.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Hyperic is great - but it assumes that it is a device you can install hyperic on like on Operating System.  But What if you want to poll a device like a router or switch to determine whether it responds to a ping and put that info into vCOps?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As I said, Hyperic is good way to monitor physical machines.

For routers and switches there is  NSX-V, NSX-MH and Openstack adapters in vROPs.

0 Kudos
MacVay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hyperic is the answer here but it will require the Hyperic Agent on guests.

If the number of devices is static and manageable, you could use the Port Adapter.  You need to feed it a list in txt format but it can use a host and a port and then report up or down.

It is in the Solutions Exchange.  Not fantastic but...

BYW, the availability thing is a complicated animal because availability to VMware is done through the tools.  Nuke a network interface and it still shows available.  Trying to build alerts on various metrics is clumsy. (I.e Stop networking in a Linux VM and transmit packets goes to zero but received will not go to zero)

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Yeah I think what I need is:

-A ping test going out to a set of IPs I specify - those IPs are connected with objects in vROps.(Because it is just a ping test, the object could be a VM, and ESXi host, a router, a switch, a storage array, a power device with an IP, or anything I want to monitor)

-Something in vROps that tells me the status of that ping test

-For objects vROps already knows about - vROps should automatically be able to associate the ping test with the object.  If vROps doesn't know about the object, I can manually configure the association of IP to ping test to object being tested.

There are tools outside of vROps that can do the ping test like EMC Smarts, but it would be nice if either vrOps could do it or offsource the pingtest work to another tool and bring in the results from that tool. 

0 Kudos
iceman47777
Contributor
Contributor

So what was your solution? I have the exact same problem. I need to ping.

0 Kudos