VMware Cloud Community
Admlshak3
Contributor
Contributor

Question about applied policies

I'm trying to fine tune our ops manager (6.5) install.  I have a single applied policy right now, a copy of the default that was modified, to give an alert when the RAM usage on a server gets to 60%, and some disk space settings, through the vCenter adapter.  It applies to, cluster compute resource, custom datacenter, datacenter, datastore, host system, virtual machine, vcenter server.   However for some reason I'm still getting alerts for the old values which was 25% to warn, 40% to alert.  It seems like none of the changes I made to this policy are taking affect and I'm still seeing triggers for the old settings.  The number of affected objects it shows lines up with how many it should be applying to.  I'm thinking maybe it's got to many of the policy elements (cluster, custom, datacenter, the others I listed), and that I need to slim it down to just the ones I want to make the changes for?  Like how on some things I use, you configure the base policy, then make another policy with a slight tweak to something (sccm for example), so most of the config is pulled from the default except for the slight tweak.  Maybe the other policy elements are over riding the changes I made to one of them?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Check your modified policy has a higher priority than the default policy. If not and the object is in two different groups, one with your policy applied and one with the default and the default is a higher priority it will always apply the default and ignore yours. The easiest way to check is to go to the environment section and select the object you know should be using your modified policy and chech the upper right and it will tell you the policy being applied.

0 Kudos