VMware Cloud Community
cherzyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Operations Manager Foundation on vSphere Standard Cluster??

Hi,

my customer bought the Standard Acceleration Kit. During the testing and migration period we used the 60 day trial license and activated DRS. During that time we installed the included Operations Manager Foundation.

Now I want to license the systems. Before that I have to disable DRS and to do that I am forced to remove the Operations Manager vApp.

Will I be able to add the vApp again later without DRS? If not, how am I supposed to run Operations Manager in a "Standard" environment?

Thanks for you help.

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No you can not run vCenter Operation Manager in a cluster without DRS because it is a vApp.  You're choices are DRS enabled cluster or run on a host not in the cluster, but can still be managed by vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No you can not run vCenter Operation Manager in a cluster without DRS because it is a vApp.  You're choices are DRS enabled cluster or run on a host not in the cluster, but can still be managed by vCenter.

0 Kudos
cherzyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I feared that this would be the answer, thanks anyway

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Christian, vC Ops will continue to work without the vApp construct - so you could move the two VMs from the vApp, remove the vApp and then disable DRS.

See this KB for info on managing vC Ops with a "broken" vApp....

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203188...

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks jddias I was not aware of that possibility, only the constraints from trying to run on our HA only enabled cluster

0 Kudos
cherzyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great idea thanks.

0 Kudos