VMware Cloud Community
tgoepfert
Contributor
Contributor

Negative Remaining Hosts Capacity

Dear community

Looking a the "Remaining Host" capacity in the Planning -> Summary tab, I get a negative value for the remaining host capacity, although vCops is telling me, that there is still room for another 34 virtual machines on that ESXi cluster (see attached screenshot)! Isn't that a contradiction for itself? vCops tells me: The ESXi cluster is "lacking" of ESX hosts, but nevertheless you can put another 34 VM in that cluster!

I know, that the remaining host capacity is depending on the usable capacity configuration (HA, CPU buffer etc.), but nevertheless how is it possible to get an negative number for the remaining host and a positive number for the remaining VMs at the same time? What does that mean?

I'm totally confused! Do anyone have an explanation?

Regards,

Thomas

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, This is not normal. The remaining capacity is simply expressed in units of average VMs and hosts as you correctly assume. Apparently, you hit a corner case exposing a bug. Sorry.

0 Kudos
tgoepfert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for you answer! That's a pity ! 😉 But nevertheless, in such a case I do my capacity calculation based on the most conservative (negative) number!

Could it be, because the affected ESXi cluster is a mixed cluster - the cluster consists of different server hardware models, that the remaining capacity calculation gets "confused"?

Regards

0 Kudos
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This doesnt appear to be resolved in 5.6. Should it be or is that the next rev?

0 Kudos