VMware Cloud Community
headgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Idle Virtual Machines Report Calculation derivation

When I run the report it gives me a list of the Idle machines. Pretty obvious. I know that the parameters of what is considered "Idle" is controlled under Configuration under the appropriate Policy in 4a. My question is what is the interpretation on those parameters. For example %Idle Time threshold of 90% with average CPU Usage less than 100MHhz for what period? 30 days sampled daily? How is this controlled? Is if from the Display settings under Reports? Or Display settings under Views and if so, Trend View or Non-Trend View? If so that appears to be global and would apply to all reports?

Does it honor the Configure capacity and time? For example set this to be just work week hours and have usage outside of work hours, will the report still see it as Idle?

The Oversized and Undersized reports clearly tell the range that it is using and where it is set but the Idle Report does not.

A somewhat unrelated question. How do I delete reports that I run from the Reports tab. When I click "Run Now", they just continue to build up.

The report is very nice but I need to make sure I understand the derivation of the data before we start decommissioning servers.

Thanks

Roger

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Reports will retain in the UI reports lists and roll once there after 5 reports. The oldest report will be dropped. There is not a way to easily delete them in the UI. Manually, it's require editing files/DBs to drop those reports.

#vR Ops 5.8.4

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos