VMware Cloud Community
Alexandre2
Contributor
Contributor

How to have site and OS licensing rules on vROPS in an vSAN stretched cluster?

Hi all,

On a vSAN stretched cluster, I've created a VM/host "should" rule to place VM on right ESX which depend to a site. Each VM and ESX have a TAG correspond to the site.

I need to manage OS licensing too. I created two TAG (Windows & RHEL) and assign them to ESX and VM. When I configure this on vROPS, it's works but my last site rule are disable. How can I manage site and OS licensing rules together with vROPS ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I assume you are only creating the tags in vCenter which is what you should be doing. If you are trying to do affinity/anti-affinity rules for VMs to be on certain ESXi Host, that would all be handled in vCenter. 

If you are asking how do you manage objects such as VMs and Host that have multiple tags.  Well it depends on what you are trying to do.

For filtering via Views, Dashboards and alerts you can filter using the vSphere Tag metric found under Properties.  You can put a filter for contains RHEL, Windows, etc. 

Or you can create custom groups such as a group called RHEL servers.  Filter it the same way using vSphere Tag contains RHEL.  Make sure to preview it to make sure those show up. 

http://www.vmignite.com/2018/06/vrops-6-creating-custom-groups-like-a-pro/

Personal blog VMignite.com
0 Kudos
Alexandre2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for you response. 

In fact, I manage others clusters (which are not stretched cluster) with TAG and vROPS to automate the VM placement by OS licensing. This is possible in workload optimisation / business intent in vROPS. vROPS create automatically affinity rules on the vCenter.

In case of a vSAN streched cluster (hybrid), it's recommanded to configure site rules affinity (type "should") to don't have to wait to load the warm cache when a VM is migrated to on ESX on the other site.  My problem is my site affinity rule was created on the vCenter and is disable by vROPS.

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure how vROPS can disable such a unique setting such as affinity rules, sounds very strange to me.  You may want to call support. 

Personal blog VMignite.com
0 Kudos