VMware Cloud Community
Hurleyinnh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you calculate the potential metrics generated?

I'm trying to determine what the requirements will be for me to deploy vCenter Operations Manager Enterprise 5.

How do you calculate the metrics generated? I have 6 vCenters in 4 locations, 2 in US, 2 international, with about 160 hosts running 2,400 vm's.

Is there a formula for this?

I don't want to build too small and need to be able to expand for about a total of 200 hosts or more in the future running maybe 3,000 vm's or more.

Thank you for some insight into this ... Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use the following as an estimate:  1100 metrics/ host and 400 metrics / vm      So, for 200 hosts and 3000 vms you will have (approximately) 220000 + 1200000 = 1.4 M metrics.

Hope that helps.

-dw

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use the following as an estimate:  1100 metrics/ host and 400 metrics / vm      So, for 200 hosts and 3000 vms you will have (approximately) 220000 + 1200000 = 1.4 M metrics.

Hope that helps.

-dw

0 Kudos
wharlie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From "deployment and confiuration guide"

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-5-installation-guide.pdf

Each virtual machine has 250 to 300 metrics.
Each ESX host has 1,200 to 1,500 metrics.

(#VMs x 300 metrics) + (#Hosts x 1,500 metrics) = total metrics

In your case:

2400 x 300 + 160 x 1500 = 960,000

Also for storage:

Assuming

Metric collection frequency (every 5 minutes)

Metric retention period (default of 6 months)

Metric storage requirement (16 bytes per metric)

Using these assumptions it is possible to determine the amount of storage capacity required.  This is calculated as follows:

(#Metrics x 12 collections per hour x 4320 hours x 16 bytes)/(1024^3) = Storage (GB)

It is possible to determine the amount of storage I/O required.  This is calculated as follows:

(#Metrics/300 sec per collection period) = Storage I/O (iops)

These metrics are related specifically to the use of vCops in conjunction with the vCenter Server adapter and do not include the use of additional external adapters.  If there is a requirement to collect further data from additional adapters then there is a requirement to understand the total number of metrics this is likely to introduce.  For example if a SCOM adapter were also introduced it may collect an additional 250 metrics per guest operating system that would need to be factored into the above equation.

0 Kudos