VMware Cloud Community
mchilo1994
Contributor
Contributor

HOST HAS HIGH CPU CONTENTION

Hello need your advice.

I have a number of Host in a cluster which complain about to much CPU contention. However CPU utilization in all hosts is still less than 20%. Kindly assist if there is any known reason why we have hight cpu contention

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

There are 3 CPU metrics that you need to know about for CPU

CPU usage = The amount of CPU that the VM is using (getting from the host)

CPU demand = The amount of CPU the VM is demanding from the host

CPU Contention = The difference between the above 2.

CPU contention has nothing realy to do with the cpu usage of the cluster it points to 3 things in my experience

1. To many VMs in the cluster
  2. To many vCPUs assigned to the VMs in the cluster
  3. Power policy on the hosts not set to high performance

The first two are due to VMs not being able to be scheduled the vCPUs on the physical cores because there are to many.

The second one is because the physical cores are powered off (and the cache depending on what it is set to) when not being used and the lag caused when a VM needs to use a powered off core can generate contention.

If your hosts power is set to high performance then you will need to reduce the number of vCPUs in the VMs or move vms off the cluster. I would only worry if you are experiencing performance problems.

The main reason i see contention getting out of control is someone complains that a VM is not performing so the first port of call is always "we need to double the cpu". The VM is blindly upgraded which generated more contention causing the VM to run slower. This is where right sizing is impotent. Only give a VM more vCPU if it needs it

0 Kudos
mchilo1994
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

1. To many VMs in the cluster --This is strange because there is another clouster having more VMs but we still dont have the CPU contention problem. One host has only two running Virtual machine and has CPU contention of 4.5% which is strange.
  2. To many vCPUs assigned to the VMs in the cluster  -- The Host has 80 vCPU and still only two Virtual machines are running in a host.
  3. Power policy on the hosts not set to high performance  -- This is confirmed to be set to high Perfomance Mode.

Not sure why this is a case and what exactly can be the Impact of CPU contention in Virtual machines.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You say the host only has 2 VM's on it, and has 80 logical CPU's available? How many vCPU's have you assigned to those VM's, what version of vSphere are you running, is hyper-threading enabled correctly on the host?

Contention, as previously mentioned, has nothing to do with usage, but everything to do with access to resource.

0 Kudos
mchilo1994
Contributor
Contributor

Hello alsmk2,

There are only 2VM in one of the Host and one is assigned 6VCPU and the other is assigned 8VCPUs.  Hyper threading is enabled in the Host 

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK, then that should be absolutely fine.

What storage are they sat on? Is it vSAN by any chance?

If so, SSH to the host and run esxtop - do you see lots of python processes? If so, you can check a little further with ps -Tcjstv | grep python, which will show you what has spawned that process. I've seen a few hosts with high CPU be caused by a vsan script spawning multiple processes. You can then kill them with kill <process id taken from esxtop>. Compare the output of the ps command against a host without the issue if you want an idea on what should be visible.

The above also applies if it is something else. Have a look at esxtop and see what processes have the highest %USED values. It might lead you to something else utilising the CPU's enough to cause contention for the two VMs.

0 Kudos
mchilo1994
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks all i got it resolved. It was about power setting. It was set to performance per watt while in the vcenter was set to high perfomance. we applied the setting and cleared the issue. CPU contention dropped to Zero after that.

Thanks

0 Kudos