VMware Cloud Community
rifraf
Contributor
Contributor

Extending C drive on MS Cluster Server error

We have been seeing this error lately and figured to throw it out the group to see if anyone else has the problem:

When Extending (In VCenter Edit Option) a C Drive on a Windows 2008 Cluster node that is active, the server will shut itself off and I get the following error:

Failed to resume virtual disk scsi1:0. The disk has been modified since you took a snapshot or suspended the virtual machine.  Error encountered while restarting virtual machine after taking snapshot.  The virtual machine will be powered off. View details...

The virtual disk scsi1:0 is a RDM lun that's part of the Clustered Volumes. Not the C Drive (scsi0:0)

Im running ESX4.0 (208167)

Anyone have any ideas and why this is happening?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
rifraf
Contributor
Contributor

Bump... Anyone?

0 Kudos
RobertEsbjorn
Contributor
Contributor

I have also seen this error... However I did notice the disk I was trying to extend did extend when I looked at the datastore. I started with a 30GB C: drive and went to icresses it to a 50GB. The VM rebooted and still reported a 30GB drive. I looked at the datastore and noticed that the drive now was at 50GB. I opened disk management and the OS also saw the added space and I was able to increasse it to 50GB. I have not been able to try and incresse the second node yet to see if it has the same problem. Have you had any updates to you issue

0 Kudos
bman98
Contributor
Contributor

I just encountered this problem too with windows 2003 MSCS. We are using ESX 4.0 (build 208167). Did you find any solution to this issue?

0 Kudos
jurelab
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem with clustered virtual machines across physical hosts on MS server 2008 R2

ESXi 4.1 (502767)

Any solution to this issue?

0 Kudos
Mietto
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem with a 2008 R2 cluster.

Seems to be a problem with a cluster. Shutting down the cluster node, all is ok with this operation

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Can you provide the logs if possible?

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
Mietto
Contributor
Contributor

This is the log after trying to extend the F disk on one node of MSCLUSTER 2008 R2 from vcenter:

Error message on DMOCLS3NODE1 on
siavm23.siav.net in Dmo: An error occurred while
restarting virtual machine after taking a snapshot. The
virtual machine will be powered off.
error
10/05/2012 10:20:07
DMOCLS3NODE1
vpxuser

An error occured while rstarting virtual machine after taking snapshot. The virtual machine will be powered off.

Resuming virtual disk scsi1:0 failed. The disk has been modified since a snapshot was taken or since the virtual machine was suspended.

The disk scsi1:0 is a RDM part of a cluster, not the disk F (scsi0:1).

For the second node, I will be shutdown the VM, to avoid this problem, but it is very strange.

I do this operation a lot, but not in MS Cluster 2008R2.

Seem to be a problem related a MS Cluster.

0 Kudos
m200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the exact same issue.

ESXi 4.1 U2, MSCS 2008 R2.

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

Why it is happening an how to correct the disksize.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Has the following been done:

1- Remove Disk (RDM) from VM

2- Increase LUN size on SAN

3- Remove pointer files (clean up)

4- Re-add LUN as RDM (Increased size)

I don't see a reason why this won't work as far as increasing the RDM. After that you will need to extend the size of the volume on Windows by going to Disk Manager or using diskpart as long as you have Windows 2008 or higher.

0 Kudos
m200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

.I have not extended the RDM disks.

It's extending the c-drive that failes.

The c-drive is set up as a virtual disk.

I extended the diskdrive for 40 GB to 80 GB and got the messages and errors mentioned earlier in this thread,

In windows the diskmanager show the correct disksize 80 GB.

If I browse the vmware lun to look at the vmdk-file it will show the correct size 80 GB.

It's when you look at the virtual machine properties on Harddisk 1 that you will se that it shows the incorrect provisioned disksize 40 GB.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not sure the order in which you increased the size of the disk. You want to:

1- Remove any snapshot

2- Increase the disk size under the VM Properties

3- Extend the volume on Windows

If you extended the volume in Windows without increasing the size on the VM, this could be causing your issue. In this case you will need to increase the size under the VM properties, just make sure you have no snapshots, otherwise the disk will be "greyed out" and can't increase the size.

If you have already done that and still have issues, I'll recommend re-registering the VM (requires down time).

0 Kudos
BenESXi
Contributor
Contributor

I have just had the same problem, luckily on the passive cluster node! The error reads as follows:

An error occurred while restarting virtual machine after taking a snapshot. The virtual machine will be powered off.

Upon pressing the 'view details' link:

Resuming virtual disk scsi1:1 failed. The disk has been modified since a snapshot was taken or since the virtual machine was suspended.

Its not exactly rocket science but the process I followed is as follows:

Ensure no snapshots exist.

Ensure there is no contiguous partitions to the right of the one I want to extend (no idea why there would be, but some places have funny configs).

Resize the disk via virtual centre via the VMs config, Press OK, This is when I get the error!

The disk being extended was disk 0, the system disk (a virtual disk). This VM was part of a 2 node SQL 2008 R2 cluster, and hence in addition to another virtual disk, the vm had a number if RDMs (quorums & shared disks etc). The RDMs and any cluster related disks remained untouched.

Once the disk resize had been entered and committed, the error came up and the VM powered off. Once I powered it back on I checked disk management and sure enough the resize was successful, after running the extend all was well. What I don’t understand is why did it power off?? There were no snaphsots to speak off, so why did it go down?

The VM was 2008R2 and the host ESXi 4.1.0 Build 348481 running under virtual center 4.1 Build 345043.

Any suggestions of the cause are appreciated!

0 Kudos
BenESXi
Contributor
Contributor

No sooner had I posted the previous message I have found the answer:

Straight from a VMWare KB:

" If a cluster node virtual machine powers off due to a growing disk, messages similar to the following may be reported in vmware.log. This can also occur when growing a non-shared disk. If any bus is shared in the virtual machine, then you cannot grow any disk in the virtual machine while it is running."

Full article here:

0 Kudos