VMware Cloud Community
produban
Contributor
Contributor

[Explain] Filter doesn't work after metric transformation

Hello everyone    

I checked this issue with a colleague and I hope it will be usefull for other colleagues

We create a view with data, for example cpu|usage and as we need to know peaks of day we do a transformation to Maximum (no problems until there)

transformed data on view.png

but if we filter cpu|usage in order to see cpu max over 50%... filter isn't applied :smileyshocked: why is that? Because filter do not use the previous transformation it use the current value, that is to say: If don't there vms on a current state over 50% they will not appear.

only one vm after filter.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

May be a bug? Have you opened an SR with GSS on this matter?

0 Kudos
produban
Contributor
Contributor

As far as i know and we have talked with vmware (on conversation, we don't have escalated a SR). It's no possible. If anyone has other information or update, please share with us.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I dont think it is a bug but more a limitation of the filter. When you create the filter you cant specify what CPU metric in your list view to use as over 50% and you cant specify a transform in the filter so it will always use the latest.

You could try a super metric to do this. create the SM

max(${this, metric=cpu|usage_average})

You will need to wait the length of time you have set up in the view time settings for it to work properly

Once this time has passed filter the view with this super metric instead of the original one. It should do what you need. I have not tested it as i would need to wait for the SM to populate but in theory it should work

0 Kudos
produban
Contributor
Contributor

I´m back Smiley Happy   I have created the supermetric, applied on a view and it shows the maximum cpu avg on a day as you can see on the image below.

pastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_1.png

But If you try to do a filter.... there aren't matches

pastedImage_5.png

if you delete the filter, it back to normality

pastedImage_6.png

0 Kudos