VMware Cloud Community
JovanF
Contributor
Contributor

Error vCenter Operations Manager Registration Failed

I’ve just installed vCenter Operations Manager 5 and when I try to add a vCenter the following error appears:

vCenter Operations Manager registration on vCenter Server (vCenterXX) has failed.

Do you want to force the registration and overwrite the existing vCenter Operations Manager Registration? Yes   No

I tried by selecting Yes but it takes too long with the message:

Registering vCenter Server

Registering vCenter Server instance. This may take a few minutes.

I also tried reinstalling the vApp and it didn't work.

Does anybody had this problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you have the older version of vCOPS? This happened to me (VERY FRUSTRATING). I had to remove the plug-in from vCenter.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you select 'force' it will overwrite the older registration and move on.

As to the first error, you can check "/var/log/vmware/admin.log" for any suspicious behavior (or just post it here).

There might be some connection or permissions issue underneath.

0 Kudos
JovanF
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but when I "force" it takes too long and it comes with the following error: 

"Failed to register the provided vCenter Server. 12002"

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Go to the vApp under summary and click on the link "Available" for vApp Status. This will take you to the IP of the app but not the admin page. In my case when I had the issue, I was still getting the error without realizing it was already registered after I removed the plug-in.

So, if you can get to the IP of the UI, you should be good.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

12002 should mean timeout...

can you check the admin.log? There should be indication as to what the issue is.

0 Kudos
JovanF
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that it was the plugin, when i opened the plugin manager there was an error because the installation was not completed because it could not reach the vapp, so I restart the client and download the plugin manually and now it works.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JovanF
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Gradinka but I think now its solved.

0 Kudos