VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Creating a Custom Attribute to Model Growth Rate of Datastore Used Space

I would like to see which datastores are growing the fastest in the environment in terms of GB per day or something similar.  Is it possible to use a custom attribute to apply a formula that measures the growth rate of a datastore over time, allowing me to see which datastores are growing the fastest?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'd be looking for a simple moving average for a the SM you describe. vC Ops doesn't allow simple moving average formulas for SMs at this time.

It sounds like you're looking for a "growth rate", however you really won't get that with the built-in attributes. You could look at it a different way and look at the capacity remaining and time remaining metrics. Also, you could creates additional widgets to visualize graphs of util % over the past 30-90 days to give a better picture of utilization in GB, #VMs, etc.

I'd also suggest doing a Top-N showing the lowest utilization of the metric time remaining and capacity remaining.. that will give you your datastores that are most at-risk.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'd be looking for a simple moving average for a the SM you describe. vC Ops doesn't allow simple moving average formulas for SMs at this time.

It sounds like you're looking for a "growth rate", however you really won't get that with the built-in attributes. You could look at it a different way and look at the capacity remaining and time remaining metrics. Also, you could creates additional widgets to visualize graphs of util % over the past 30-90 days to give a better picture of utilization in GB, #VMs, etc.

I'd also suggest doing a Top-N showing the lowest utilization of the metric time remaining and capacity remaining.. that will give you your datastores that are most at-risk.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK great thanks.

0 Kudos