VMware Cloud Community
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity Remaining Calculations

Hi guys,

We are deploying VCOPS and configuring it.

Our environment consist of two ESXi clusters with two datatstores each. On top of that, there is a datastore (named data1) presented to both clusters for ISO files storage purpose.

It seems that datastore (data1) is duplicated in VCOPS as it's capacity is reflected on both clusters and it is affecting our capacity remaining calculations.

Is there a way to exclude that datastore from VCOPS capacity remaining calculation?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could apply a specific config policy to that datastore, which has a capacity buffer of 100%.. this will cause vC Ops to not consider it usable, plus the ISOs on it won't be considered VM disks and won't be considered used either.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying.

I have configured a specific policy for the datastore although VCOPS only allow me to set the buffer to max 99%. I associated the policy to the datastore. On datastore leve, I can see the effective policy is that specific policy.

On cluster level, I am still seeing the usable capacity as same as before creation of the policy. Am I missing something or it takes time for VCOPS to re-calculate?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is your config policy set to use "usable capacity" for the cap planning model? Check tab 3a in the config policy. Sometimes the disk space planning metrics can take a little while to recalc. The planning badges also typically re-calc every 12 hours or so.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we are using usable capacity for all of our policies. Is it why we are allowed to set buffer up to only 99%?

I will check again on the capacity planning portion.

Another question:

If buffer is set on the datastore, will it be reflected on the cluster level in terms of usable capacity or the cluster's usable capacity is calculated based the buffer set in the cluster associated policy?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The buffers will be taken in to for usable capacity, so the policy that sets 99% buffer should leave only 1% usable, theoretically.

0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that the on cluster level, the usable capacity still includes the datastore with the excluding policy. The cluster probably take the setting from the policy associated with it. I did not notice any changes in the capacity remaining score and no of available VMs remaining after one week.

0 Kudos