VMware Cloud Community
mathewsnyder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are policies cumulative?

I'm getting up to speed with vROPS and making some steady progress. One thing I can't find information on, though, is if policies are cumulative or if attaching a new policy to an object replaces any previously attached policy. Our hope is that we can create very specific policies which might apply to a handful of VMs, but also apply a general policy that applies to a broader range of VMs.

-Mathew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It is one policy active against an object.

An object in two different groups with different policies applied will get the policy that has a higher priority in the active policies list.

I would suggest creating your own default policy and use that to add the common settings and the sub policies below that to apply specific settings and block inheritance for the ones you dont want

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It is one policy active against an object.

An object in two different groups with different policies applied will get the policy that has a higher priority in the active policies list.

I would suggest creating your own default policy and use that to add the common settings and the sub policies below that to apply specific settings and block inheritance for the ones you dont want

mathewsnyder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos