VMware Cloud Community
mulliganesx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Application Tier Dashboard for Infrastructure

Looking to capture the health of an environment which encompasses an application.   My initial thoughts are to create an environment overview widget displaying each tier, with heatmaps and alerts to hone down on any specific issue affecting any part of the application.

As a whole, the tiers represent the entire Virtual/Physical footprint of the application that is managed.

I created an application tier, and that does not seem to dispay well or provide the metrics necessary within a dashboard view.  The other option is to create a unique 'Group Type' for each object below, then create the custom group for each Group type.  

Is there a better way?  It seems a bit of a waste to have so many group types (I plan on doing this for 15+ applications) whereas I rather have 1 group that has each of the child objects or tiers contained into it such as below.  

The tiers for example will consist of:

- Application Servers

- Database 

- Web Servers 

- Interface Servers

- ESXi Hosts, hosting above servers

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mghall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have created a similar dashboard, but without accounting for the different tiers.

We first had to create a group for each application/customer and then another group that contains all the applications/customers.

Then create a dashboard using the list widget (with the group  for all the customers). This customer list widget then drives almost all the other widgets on the dashboard. (Environment, Health, Workload)

Another list widget is used to list out the individual servers for each application, and then this drives the Alert List widget.

Arrows have been drawn in to indicate what the different widgets are driving.

Customer Dashboard.JPG

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

If you are trying to monitor Application level using vROps then EPOPS would be the go to for you .

-->On top of this, you can install one of the many EPOPs Plugins available on the VMware Solution Exchange to fetch data directly from your particular application.

example, we want to track our SQL Databases and their specific performance metrics. In this case, we install the EPOPs Plugin for SQL Solutions centrally on our vROps Instance. The Plugin now checks all the connected EPOPs Agents and automatically discovers all SQL Servers as well as their databases and starts to collect SQL specific metrics. Furthermore, it extends the already available relationship mapping up to the application. This means, we can see now which database runs on which SQL server, on which virtual machine, on which Host and so on. At this point, if the SQL database is facing performance contention, we can easily check how the related virtual machine is performing or whether probably the whole cluster has an issue. But it could also be, that we see high latencies on our Datastores…

-->Also I saw this doc which talks about application stack(bluemedora)

https://bluemedora.com/application-stack-dashboard-vrealize-operations/

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
mulliganesx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for this awesome information.  I will check out these EPOPs Plugins.  I assume these are not free? 
0 Kudos
mulliganesx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks this is similar to what I am doing now.  For full visibility of health I use a environmental overview with interactions into several Top-N counters, health charts and alert volume.  
0 Kudos
mulliganesx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks this is similar to what I am doing now.  For full visibility of health I use a environmental overview with interactions into several Top-N counters, health charts and alert volume.  
0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

Did this help in resolving your issue or query ?

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

EPOPS plugin now comes along with vrops .

Once vrops installation is done, go to solutions page you will find operating system/epops management pack already existing.

You just need to have agents configured on target machine and start using it.

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos