VMware Cloud Community
yack77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appliance or Windows installation?

I start to deploy vRealize Operations Manager, but I can't understand what should I deploy - appliance or windows installation. I can't find any restrictions or comparisons.

I have about 50 hosts, 500 vms, 3 vCenters, 5 DC. What will be the best choice?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Windows is only there for our legacy customers who already have WIndows deployed. VA is the way to go all the way. You CANNOT upgrade or migrate historical data between our vR Ops platforms (Windows<>Linux<>VA), so you'd be locked in to Windows forever unless you re-build from scratch. From a QE perspective, you want to go with VA since you've got a much stronger user base. I can say that 95%+ of customers use the virtual appliance, with that 5% stuck in a legacy upgrade path or perhaps have some customizations or compliance items that can only be satisfied with a Windows OS.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Always go with the appliance.  They both scale out almost equally.  All my customers run the Appliance

Personal blog VMignite.com
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Windows is only there for our legacy customers who already have WIndows deployed. VA is the way to go all the way. You CANNOT upgrade or migrate historical data between our vR Ops platforms (Windows<>Linux<>VA), so you'd be locked in to Windows forever unless you re-build from scratch. From a QE perspective, you want to go with VA since you've got a much stronger user base. I can say that 95%+ of customers use the virtual appliance, with that 5% stuck in a legacy upgrade path or perhaps have some customizations or compliance items that can only be satisfied with a Windows OS.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
yack77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, now I understand the differents. Too bad that this is not described in the documentation.

0 Kudos