VMware Cloud Community
silus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any issues pointing more than 1 vrops to vcenter?

Hi,
After the absolute shambles that is the 6.7 release, we have identified there is a need to bulk out the dataset in Dev as some of the craziness in 6.7 didn't show up for us until we were dealing with Prod and it's much larger dataset (such as the inability to search/sort/filter the tables in reclaim capacity view...)

Are there generally any issues to be found if we pointed additional vrops instance to vcenter, so have both dev and prod vrops pulling in the same data?

Is there a way to reduce how often the dev instance would collect data in order to reduce load on vcenter?

thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunnydua2011101
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes. You can have multiple instances of vROps monitoring the same vCenter. It works and is fully supported.

Regards Sunny

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In prior releases there was no issue with having multiple vROps collecting from the same vCenter.  I'd assume that this should still be okay with 6.7.  I think that only one of them will be registered as a vCenter extension (visible in the web client), but both can be collecting from it.  You can change the collection interval on the adapter instance.  In the Inventory Explorer find the adapter instance for the vCenter instance that you want to change and click the edit object button on the toolbar.  The collection interval can be changed there.

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I do not believe it is possible for multiple vROps instances to collect from the same vCenter server.

On my last install when creating a new vCenter collector, vROps warned me that it would unregister the older vROps from the VC before continuing.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's true that only one of the vROps will be registered in vCenter, but both should be able to collect data at the same time.  Here are some previous discussions on this that also touch on the load to vCenter.

Multiple vROps servers for 1 vCenter ?

Can you have multiple vROps clusters

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's perfectly fine to point multiple vROps instances to a single vCenter, just understand that only one extension with that key name can be registered.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I have 3 instances of vrops collecting from a single vcenter with no impact on vcenter performance. This is a 5k VM and 400 host vcenter

0 Kudos
sunnydua2011101
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes. You can have multiple instances of vROps monitoring the same vCenter. It works and is fully supported.

Regards Sunny