VMware Cloud Community
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize Business - no vRA VMs detected (and vROPS issues)

Hey all - there's no section for vRealize Business so I am assuming this is a safe place to post?

That said I am trying to setup some pricing for my vRealize Automation deployments based on reservation (which is based on business group right now).  I currently have a test group with several VMs deployed:

RJbOkFX.png

However, when I check into pricing policies in Business Management I see:

151g15gt1g1.png

I have another lab running where I do see my VMs being handled by vRealize Automation policy (without having to configure anything):

14f1y151g.png

Again, only getting that in this environment... go figure!  Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What versions are involved here? You might try to reboot the vRB appliance as it appears to do a far more thorough data collection upon boot.

0 Kudos
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for lack of info - I am using vRA 7.3 and latest vRB.  I am realizing now that when making requests in vRA I am not seeing pricing at all, even when I update/refresh.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Have you actually configured a pricing policy by reservation in vRB? As of version 7, they removed the automatic pricing functionality, so you have to do it in an entirely manual process. If you haven't explicitly created those policies then that's why you're seeing a $0 cost when requesting.

0 Kudos
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes - so I have a policy setup, the problem seems that there's no VMs applied.  See these images:

28OrD88.png

But when looking at reservations VMs exist against the reservation:

2017-09-14 11_54_24-vRealize Automation.png

and, the status of collection from vRA is green:

2017-09-14 11_55_28-vRealize Automation.png

Edit:  I think I realized what's happening...  vRA is deploying VMs against vCenter2.  But I only have vCenter1 in as vSphere collection... DOH!  I assumed vRB would collect the info from vRA, not the vCenter.  It's possible this might be the issue.  Trying now.

Sigh... yep.  That was it.  Even though vRB is registered to the vRA environment, it doesn't see vRA-deployed VMs unless the associated vSphere Endpoint for the VMs is configured in vRB Administration.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, I was just going to ask that. vRB collects against vRA for things like costing, but also against vCenter for actual data against the object, so you need both of those things. Glad you got it figured out.

0 Kudos