VMware Cloud Community
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRealize Automation & vCloud Director sharing resources

Hi,

When moving from vCloud Director 5.56 (force to because support ends in two weeks) to vRealize Automation 7.3 is it possible for the two to share resources (Datastores, ESXi hosts) during the transition? I suppose this scenario would also require that vCloud Director Networking & Security coexist on the same networks with NSX.

I believe there is sufficient resources in the cluster to handle all of the above as long as vCD and vCD networking and security still functions correctly while vRA and NSX are being configured.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the two can be run in tandem consuming the same compute, network, and storage resources.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you state

possible for the two to share resources (Datastores, ESXi hosts)

to what aspect of vRA are you referring? The deployed resources resulting from those systems? If so, the answer should be "yes" so long as you have sufficient resources to account for deployments from both applications. In vRA, so long as you have a reservation to consume resources on a given fabric, you can do so regardless of what else resides there.

0 Kudos
hgov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

To clarify, we are currently using vCD to deploy, save and manage several test environments. As such, vCD has access to the resources of a cluster of ESXi hosts and a SAN hosted datastore.

To retain support (vCD support ending this month) we are being forced to move to another product which happens to vRealize. Can vRealize be configured to use the same cluster of ESXi hosts and datastore as vCD and can both be run simultaneously while vRealize is configured and tested? From what I understand, this would also require vCloud Director Networking and Security be run in tandem with NSX since they perform similar functions for vCD and vRA.

Thanks,

Henry

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the two can be run in tandem consuming the same compute, network, and storage resources.

0 Kudos