VMware Cloud Community
malabelle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize Automation install fails

Hi.

I'm installing vRA 6.2.1.

I have the following machines installed:

I followed Jad El-Zein's documentation to install everything. (vRealize Automation 6.2 Install and Config (Live!) Videos | [virtualjad.com])

vRA appliance: Working

SQL server: Windows 2012 with SQL 2012 server: working

IAAS server: Windows 2012 with Pre-Req all completed. I ran the pre-req script and everything is OK. In the database section, I put the "sa" account.

When I try to install, everything goes well except it stops at the database creation error:

Error : 2015-09-08 05 23 20 288 PM :Error: vCloud Automation Center Configuration Wizard cannot execute SQL command CREATE USER [DOMAIN\srvc_account] FOR LOGIN [DOMAIN\srvc_account.]

From what I see on the Database server, the vCAC DB gets created and the tables too.

I tried removing the DOMAIN\srvc_account from the server logins, vCAC gives an error that the DOMAIN\srvc_account is not in server logins.

I tried putting DOMAIN\srvc_account in the Database section of the installation, it don't work

I tried putting DOMAIN\srvc_account in local admins. no working.

I tried giving DOMAIN\srvc_account sysadmin on the SQL server. no luck either.

any idea??

thanks

vExpert '16, VCAP-DCA, VCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

SA is a local SQL Account.  The SQL Server must be enabled for mixed mode authentication to utilize SA to create the database.  You also need to make sure that you mark that you aren't using the NT Authentication option for creating the database.  Easiest way around this error would be to add your NT USER to the the DBA Group in SQL server...

My terminology may not be exact, but hopefully it makes sense...

0 Kudos
malabelle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure I understand.

The SQL server is SQL server and Windows Authentication mode.

The mark NT auth I'm not certain I understand what you mean....

vExpert '16, VCAP-DCA, VCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
sraja
Contributor
Contributor

Hi -

The account being used to install the IaaS server must have sysadmin, serveradmin and public boxes checked.

You will need manually create the account in the SQL server database and use that account to install IaaS server, incidentally that account should also be a member of Admin for the IaaS server.  Jad mentions this in his video but you need to listen out for it. Its also stated in the install guide as well.

Hope this helps.

sanj

0 Kudos
birdylarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I run into this same issue installing vRA 6.2, installation would fail at DB creation. Issue turned out to be not a DB permission, it was name resolution. Ensure that your vRA appliance and IaaS server are able to successful resolve both forward and reverse lookup of each other's hostname and FQDN. You can try putting them in hosts file but you already have a AD-I DNS just point them to your domain controller after you've created the required A records. Let me know if this works. If not please share the install logs.

! !

0 Kudos
martinfnicman
Contributor
Contributor

We were having the same problem.

Solution for us was:

1. on IAAS server log in with AD user ex: domain\iaas-user

2. Start installation as domain\iaas-user

3. On Microsoft SQL server create domain\iaas-user user (General :Windows Authentication , Server Roles: public, serveradmin, sysadmin) - if you can not create AD user domain\iaas-user there is connection problem or SQL server was not joined to the domain.

4. Ensure that you can ping both sql server and iaas server using FQDN on both ends.

5. On IAAS server the installer (Server and account Settings page)

- Local server : use FQDN of IAAS server

- User password : domain\iaas-user and your AD password

- SQL server section use FQDN of SQL server

- Database Name:  yourdbname

- select Use Windows Authentication (username and password should be grayed out)

If with this settings you can not go to the next page most likely you have connection problems (Check network, AD and passwords and SQL)

In our case after those checks installation was completed with out any errors.

Good Luck.

Martin.

0 Kudos
keeptrying
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Emad Younis has done a great work about installing IaaS and IaaS DB.

You should check his blogs here.

vRealize Automation 6.1 (formally vCAC) – IaaS Database

vRealize Automation 6.1 (formally vCAC) – IaaS Install

I hope this helps you.

0 Kudos